Rats ate the wiring harness on our car. Yup, you heard me right. I couldn’t believe it when my husband told me, but that’s what happened.
We had been vacationing in Newfoundland—like we do every year—and he had left a few days earlier. At the airport in Toronto, he mistakenly grabbed the wrong suitcase. He wasn’t home five minutes when he got a phone call—the lady had his bag, he had hers. He agreed to meet her halfway and went back out to meet her.
The car was hard to start and sputtered. He thought that it was because it hadn’t been started in two weeks. He continued, but just down the road it started to smoke. He turned around and managed to get back home. He called the woman and told her what had happened. She told him not to worry, she would come to him; it was on her way home anyway.
After the exchange, he called the tow truck and had it towed to the garage.
The mechanic told him that rats had eaten the wiring on the car from one end to the other. My husband couldn’t believe it, so they showed him. They had it fixed within a few days, but the bill was most discouraging: $2500.00.
We had left our car on numerous occasions and nothing ever went wrong. This time, you see, while we were on vacation they had done some construction near the garbage area, and instead of contacting us to have the car removed—yes, they had our phone number—they just left it. While under construction, they must have uncovered a rat’s nest and those rats chose the closest shelter they could find, our car.
My husband spoke with the property manager, but they would not do anything to compensate us in any way.
We now park across the parking lot and hope that no other creature comes near.